It’s been a tumultuous year, but we’re nearly reached the end folks!
Despite the mess of 2020, I read some books. You know the drill so without further ado let’s get into it shall we?
So this year’s goal was to read 30 books and miraculously I accomplished the goal. I read exactly 30 books which is interesting because normally I’ll read more than the goal stated but these are trying times and yeah I wasn’t worried about being productive.
Here’s an overview of what I read:
Looking at these books, some of them seemed so long ago. As you can see, it’s a mixture of graphic novels, comics, YA, and history. There’s two books that are often read in K-12, but the rest are what those heavy defenders of the classics would consider not literary material.
I’ve mentioned this in the past, but The Outsiders is one of my favorite books I skipped reading it last year but this year I re-read it. Despite the author not being a fan of graphic novels, the book shall remain a favorite of mine. But boy it would be nice to see it in graphic novel form! Think of how many new readers would spring forth if they had that format in their hands. But if they author doesn’t want their work in other formats then, of course that’s their right.
This takes me to The Great Gatsby graphic novel that I read. I read the book in 11th grade I believe and I don’t remember anything about it so when the graphic novel arrived at my library, I decided to pick it up. It was a good read and I despised a few of the characters, but this format was an excellent choice. There are other GN of The Great Gatsby but this one was officially adapted from the novel. There’s also a film adaptation featuring one of my favorite actors and former celeb crush Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire which I haven’t seen yet, so I hope to watch it in the future.
As for the rest of the list, it features the usual type of fare I enjoy reading with a few musings:
- There’s only one Star Wars book on there! I’ve got the new Thrawn novels and Queen’s Peirl on my reading list.
- I read three self-help type of books one of which is in manga format. I haven’t watch Marie Kondo’s show on Netflix…
- Read five historical books: I re-read he March series which details the life of the late Congressman John Lewis and I read two history books by author Blair Imani
- Also read a lot of Black Panther related books-R.I.P. Chadwick Boseman
- Got three of three books from the Twisted Tale series on the list. I haven’t read the latest two entries-that’s for next year.
So yeah that’s what I read this year. Next year I’ll continue to participate in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I think I’ll lower the goal to ten books for the year. I do enjoy reading and it’s one of the few escapes I have from this horrible year.
So let me end this post with the following questions:
- How many books did you read this year? If you didn’t read any that’s okay too!
- What was format were the books in-were they all print or a mixture of print, digital, audiobook?
- Will you be reading next year? If so do you have a goal set?
Finally, I want to wish you all a Happy Holidays and New Year. Please stay safe, practice social distancing and wear a fucking mask when it’s required to do so. Don’t go quietly into the night and remember your existence is important.
I’ll see you soon.