Today at work I got to put together my Batman 75th anniversary/comic book display and I’ll post pictures from that later. But I wanted to share with you some cool facts about the Dark Knight. So here are 14 facts about Batman (via io9.com, Listverse.com, and Batmanfacts.tumblr.com):
- Batman was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.
- The first Batman story, “The Case of the Chemical Syndicate,” was published in Detective Comics #27, in May 1939.
- In early issues Batman carried a six-gun at his side on his night patrols. Bob Kane soon changed this, saying that Batman wearing a gun didn’t “Feel Right”.
- Batman used to kill criminals all the time. In the first Bat-story, “The Chemical Syndicate,” he punched a criminal into a vat of acid, and says, “A fitting end for his kind. He’s also thrown criminals off of rooftops and strangled them.
- The first time Batman was ever depicted in a movie that had any kind of release was “Batman, Dracula” in 1964, directed and produced by Andy Warhol.
- Originally, Batman took place is New York City, but later, the writers decided to have it take place in a fictional city with a fictional history. The city is Gotham city.
- The person who’s played Batman the longest is voice actor Kevin Conroy. He’s voiced the animated batman in seven cartoon series, six video games and five animated movies – in total spanning 12 years. Many have named him as “The Voice of Batman”. He’s notably altered the tone of his voice when he goes from crime fighter to millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne.
- Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995) has spawned the most spin-offs of any animated TV show ever (ten as of Summer 2004).
- Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009) has entered the Guinness Book of World Records for the most critically acclaimed superhero videogame of all time.
- Bruce Wayne/Batman possesses an eidetic (photographic) memory, popularly defined as the ability to recall images, sounds, or objects in memory with extreme precision and in abundant volume.
- Bruce Wayne/Batman’s IQ has been stated as 192. For comparison, the IQ of Albert Einstein has been estimated at between 160 and 180.
- In the Batman TV series (1966-1968), Robin uses the phrase “Holy (etc)” a total of 352 times.
- There have been seven Nightwings, five Robins, five Batgirls, four Batmen, three Huntresses, two Batwomen, but only one Oracle.
- Batman has had more stories written about him than any other fictional character in history. This includes approximately 6250 comic books, 321 TV episodes, 43 video games , 14 films and a stage show.
To learn more facts about the caped crusader, head over to the links mentioned above.